Not many people can leave behind their birthplace or home countries to travel to a completely foreign one that has cultures, societies, customs, languages, that are different to what you’re used to. Thinking about it can be fairly anxiety-inducing. Yet, why do millions of people still do this? Many ex-pats around the world still take that chance.
There are dozens of great reasons why people would want to migrate to a new country. This can range from personal reasons like wanting to be with your family or spouse, to business reasons such as chasing after great investment opportunities or starting a new venture, to educational opportunities like studying at world-class universities and schools. Because of this, Singapore remains a highly attractive destination for foreign nationals.
Here are some great reasons why many people want to apply for PR or citizenship in Singapore.
Why do people settle in Singapore?
What reasons could there be for why people would consider settling in Singapore compared to the hundreds of other countries that they could go to? Here are a few examples of the advantages and benefits that Singapore provides to their residents.
1) Singapore has a stable economy and a great job market. Even among highly developed countries, Singapore stands out. Singapore has a high GDP per capita and provides jobs to thousands of people in the manufacturing, trade, and financial sectors. For people looking to start a great career, moving to Singapore is an excellent opportunity.
2) Singapore has a very high quality of life. Singapore’s living standards, when it comes to safety, personal security, convenience, and other factors, is second to none in Asia. In many studies, Singapore continuously tops the list. If you’re looking to raise a family or enjoy life, it’s a great place to be in. Not only are basic necessities easy to access, but you can also benefit from great transportation systems as well as a multitude of recreational and entertainment facilities. It’s a country where you can find almost everything at your fingertips.
3) Attractive environment for the business-minded and for foreign investors. Singapore is also very accommodating for those who wish to do business. Whether you’re looking for a highly qualified workforce or want to invest in and profit from a great startup, there’s tons of opportunities for you.
All these reasons make it easy to see why people get attracted to Singapore and want to settle here. Many more also choose to go a step further and attain citizenship. But before one could become a Singaporean national, one must go through the process of PR application in Singapore.
What is a Singapore PR?
Are you interested in becoming a Singaporean citizen? Like most citizenship schemes around the world, becoming a citizen in Singapore is rarely straightforward. Before being approved as a citizen, most foreign individuals must apply for PR status in Singapore first.
A Singapore PR, also known as a permanent resident, is a stepping stone on your path to full citizenship. A Singapore permanent resident has most of the rights and privileges that citizens do, like for example, changing jobs without needing to apply for a work permit, and being able to enter and exit Singapore borders freely without having to worry about applying for a travel or work visa.
But before you can think about PR approval, you need to take a look at Singapore PR requirements. For one, you need to ensure that you fall under the categories of people who are eligible to apply as permanent residents. Once you’ve determined that you are eligible, you need to undergo a process for the approval of your application. The process for PR approval can take from three to six months, so you have to be patient.
A look into the Singapore PR approval process
Why does the process of approval take so long? Not only is it because there are many people applying, but the process is rigorous. In fact, it has become more restrictive in recent years. Here are the things you should expect when applying for PR status.
1) Online applications. Every PR application in Singapore starts with an online submission. You can submit a PR application using a 1) valid Singpass account, 2) Foreign Identification Number and immigration pass, or 3) apply under a programme, depending on what category of eligible individual you are. Make sure you’ve compiled the right documents and also checked the accuracy of the information you’ve filled out.
2) Pay the processing fee. There is a nonrefundable fee that you have to pay for the processing of your PR application. There are many ways you can pay for this, so check it out by doing further research.
3) Wait for the processing to finish. As stated before, every application is reviewed carefully by the Investigation and Checkpoints Authority of Singapore, which is why it can take months to complete. So before you reach this step, ensure that you maximise your chances of getting approved by double-checking your application. A PR application agency in Singapore may be able to help you through the making of your application and make it better. They can also help with your inquiries about the PR application process and tailor advice for your specific situation.
4) Pay the necessary approval fees. If you’ve gone through step three, congratulations! You’ve been approved! Now all that’s left is to pay the necessary fees for each application. Just check the ICA website for more details on what fees you need to pay to complete your application.
Seeking to ace your application for PR in Singapore? Singapore Immigration Partners can help you out. Contact them on their website to know more about what they can do for you.