We don’t like thinking about it, but there are some instances where we experience personal, social, or legal issues that require the help of professionals to solve. And oftentimes, the professionals that we turn to are private investigators or detectives. Detectives are the backbone of many legal cases and their work can act as a turning point in our issues and situations. Without their help, we often wouldn’t be able to obtain the information we need.
What are private detectives and how can they help us?
If you don’t already know what private investigators do in Singapore, and what kind of services they provide, you can be excused because PIs are often thought of as a last resort that we turn to when we have problems. Like lawyers, we do not call them unless we are in dire need of it.
But contrary to popular belief, there are actually many detective agencies operating in the country because there is a growing demand for it. They’re not just a means to an end, they perform a myriad of services for clients to keep them safe from all manners of threats.
Private investigators are people who are hired by individuals, groups, or other organisations for the purposes of providing them with investigative services. The scope of the services of detectives is vast. Here are just a few tasks that detectives in Singapore are capable of doing:
1) Business-related. Private investigators can perform services within and without the company. Some of the most common tasks that PIs perform are doing background checks on employees or monitoring the activities of workers while on the job. They can also look into other individuals or businesses to check whether they are guilty of copyright infringement or other cases that might endanger the company’s assets.
2) Family issues. Issues within the family are common concerns that need to be addressed before they become too serious. PIs can provide surveillance services on spouses in cases where they are suspected of adultery or cheating, they can provide assistance on inheritance and other disputes. They also provide investigative services on other family members, to check if they’re involved in shady dealings or engaging in destructive habits such as drinking or smoking.
3) Other personal issues. The range of services that detectives provide doesn’t just extend to family or business issues. They can also be responsible for a number of other personal issues as well. They can prove to be a great asset in cases like missing persons or valuables, monitoring home workers like maids and drivers, and the like.
Detectives are people who act in a pivotal role that can determine the outcome of your situations and even save lives in some cases. Because of this, if you’re going to hire an agency to perform investigation services in Singapore, you should pick one that has all the right qualities needed to perform the job well.
How to know if you’ve hired the right detective for the job
There are several detective agencies in Singapore that provide a somewhat similar range of services. You should be careful about who you should hire because of the sensitive nature of the information they will handle. Your ideal private investigator should have:
- Great communication and persuasive skills
- In-depth knowledge of the type of case they are handling
- An ability to think creatively or out of the box
- Courtroom testimony skills
- A drive to finish or get to the bottom of issues and cases
- Experience or preparation skills for handling your specific situation
What to look out for when hiring your private detective in Singapore
These are the characteristics of a good detective, but what are things you should check to see if a PI agency has these qualities? Perform these simple tasks to help narrow down your search and make looking for your PI agency much simpler. Here are the dos and don’ts of hiring a private detective in Singapore.
1) Do: Check if they are licensed to perform these services. Private investigators in Singapore are required to obtain a license from the Private Investigation Agency Licensing & Regulatory Department (or the PLDR for short). The license they have obtained is to always be on display in their office, and most PIs will have saved a copy to show to their clients. Don’t be afraid to ask for proof when meeting up with any PIs.
2) Don’t: Forget to ask or read about the services that your PI can or cannot do. Remember, detective agencies are still entities that have to work within the bounds of the law. They may be able to dig up information about certain individuals, but they cannot do things like violating their privacy or human rights. Certain services such as hacking into social media accounts, accessing bank information, and more are illegal in Singapore. You will not be able to find an agency that will provide any of these services.
3) Do: Make sure that the investigation operates with the utmost confidentiality. There have been many instances in which details of the case were leaked to the public. This can interfere with the investigation and cost you valuable information or even botch your chances of success. Making sure your private investigator is trustworthy should be your first concern.
4) Don’t: hire an investigation company just because their prices are low. The last thing you want to do is cut corners when it comes to handling sensitive or private matters like the ones that detectives are used to handling. It can mean the difference between success and failure. Sure we want effective investigation services at a low cost, but the reality is that more experienced and competent detectives will charge a higher price. Do your research first.
Need the help of a Singapore detective for assistance on a variety of investigative issues? CDIC Consultants has you covered. Contact us to know more about our extensive range of services.