How long is a Chicago marriage license valid? This is one of the questions people frequently ask regarding marriage. In this article, we will provide you with an answer to the above question and we will also talk about other questions people often ask about marriage in Chicago. If you still have questions, U.S marriage laws is a good resource to learn more about getting married.
You should have it in mind that the whole information in this document is passing across a general message and does not provide any advice or guidance to the situation of any individual. In this area, the law evolves and this means that there will be a level of ‘uncertainty’ but we will be providing you with the best answers to your questions in this article.
Before we arrive at the answer to the question; “how long is a Chicago marriage license valid?” let us review some questions one after the other.
- Who is eligible to get married in Chicago (Illinois)?
Before two lovers can get married in Chicago, they must have gotten to 18 years of age or if lower than that, they should meet up to the requirements of parental consent. Both of them should not be married legally in the past either to themselves or to another person. They must be unmarried. They must not be biologically related to themselves. They should also be competent for civil work.
- At what point will I be eligible to marry my partner?
Lambda Legal has filed a lawsuit that allows people to make requests for marriage licenses. The next day after you have obtained the marriage license, it becomes effective and kit will last for up to 60 days.
- What is to be done before I can be able to receive a marriage license?
The two individuals desiring to get married must be present in person and not electronically before they can fill the application to get a license for marriage. You can get the application for a marriage license from any office of the county’s clerk. Each county has the different prices they collect for applying to get a license. The average amount being charged is $15, while the highest is $40. While going to apply, you are expected go along with a valid ID such as a driver’s license, birth certificate, or a valid passport.
- How long is a Chicago marriage license valid?
A Chicago marriage license lasts up to 60 days before it expires, and the validity of your license is strictly in the county where the license was obtained. This simply means that you must hold the marriage ceremony in the vicinity of that particular county where your license was obtained. You will have to wait after one day of your license issuance before it will be effective. You can file your petition to the court for them to maneuver the period and waive it off.
It is left to you to decide who officiates your marriage ceremony. You can decide to use religious personnel, public officials, or a judge. The decision is left to you. To confirm that you have performed the ceremony, the person who officiated your marriage is required to complete your marriage certificate. After the completion of the certificate, it should be forwarded to the clerk on or before the tenth day after your marriage.
- Is there still anything as Civil Union in Illinois?
The answer to this question is ‘yes’. For people who want to choose the civil Union, it is very much available for them. It can either be the same-sex or opposite sex. The civil Union can still be converted into an actual marriage.
- What are the fundamental rights of married couples in Chicago?
Below is a list of the fundamental rights of couples in Chicago.
- Every couple has the right to ask for financial assistance after any breakup.
- Every family including their children have the right to be protected from domestic violence, crisis, and crimes
- Each mate are obliged to seek for financial support for the wrongful death of a spouse who provides financial assistance
- Each couple has the right to always support a spouse without testifying against each other
- Each couple can inherit the property of a deceased spouse even without a will.